Tuesday, September 19, 2006

big greenishblue pills.

Landry just left, having chivalrously joined me for take-out in my days of need. I just tossed back two hugeass Nyquils which she implied will either kick this colds ass or kill me. So far, I'm holding my own.

I've just narrowly avoided a nervous breakdown, mostly because my mother wasn't home to field my call - her voice upends me anytime I'm stressed out. I started crying on the phone with his uncle but he couldn't tell because I have a cold. A sniffle is a sniffle... my voice cracking a sore throat. I've gotten letters and phone calls from his friends and fucking family with an outpouring of support, and encouragement, and wishes of strength because they all know how hard this week is. And how strange it is. And while it made me feel supported, it made me feel like a fool all over again... and I'm not sure why.

I was around the corner Sunday night for the first time since December from a restaurant we loved in Boston. A restaurant we flirted in, we planned our house in, and that we decided he should move out in. And I felt nothing.

Except shut off...

Which we all know is never safe for more than a little while, and which is really fucking scary because I can't figure out if I'm in control of it and it'll all be fine until I have the wherewithall to process it, or if I'm being lulled into a false sense of security. Deluge imminent sort of thing. And I'm hoping its control.

I heard his voice for the first time since early this year, and I stayed shut off. I stayed shut off when i knew in the background at the storage place he happened to be standing, that his parents were giving him furniture for his apartment that I saw once, furniture to continue his new life... and I was struck by how fucking strange it was to have this alternate universe, where we don't go home to the same place.

7 Comments:

Blogger landry said...

nothing over the counter could kill you my love.
you are my sunshine.
and im glad im not going with you. i had my bat packed.

8:58 PM  
Blogger gormley said...

love.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck darling.

may the force (and landry) be with you.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was going to bring you soup and a hug tonight. but im glad you ate already, i may have cried right in front of you for this week that youre going through.

i love you.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and landry if you did go i would have wished and wished and prayed nightly that you packed your key instead of your bat. (that comment had me laughing out loud), about keying his car or mother.

12:32 AM  
Blogger k o w said...

I avoid Nyquil, fucks me up terribly. Like packed bats.


NYC in October ladies, Landry I'll call ya.


Gormley, all of my best.

1:12 PM  
Blogger gormley said...

xo Pete... call us in October. We've got a bar or two with your name on it.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home